Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor (5 points)

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor is something that I was actually asked to read last semester by another liberal arts teacher. So for this reading this week I went through a browsed for a few refreshers.

I found this story to have some very strong harry potter vibes. One of the prominent things I noticed about this novel was how the character that was considered "different" by society, was also secretly actually different in that she had magical powers. 

I absolutely love how this book brings women empowerment to light. She felt like a real protagonist with compelling growth and not overly "girl power" incarnate. If only the conflict was a little more present in the overall story and this would be high on my "favorite books" list.


The archetype of witches - or at least in the American sense - has been broken in my opinion in this novel. The go-to vision of witches for most Americans is from, for example, the TV shows like The Circle, Legacies, The Vampire Diaries... honestly you could probably go on forever talking about witches.  The idea of having magical powers translating to physically looking different is lost in Akata Witch. 


I always recommend people to read this book, especially those who feel different or left out.  This book is a huge home run in dealing with those feeling of being an outcast but still powerful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (6 points)

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (6 points)

The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman 5 points